Saturday, October 27, 2012

Brewing at Mom's

Aside from the 100 qt mash tun that I let at Pat's after the last brewday, I took my entire system to my mom's house, as she has a yard and I do not. In order to be able to brew there sometimes, as brewing in my little apartment just isn't happening. I brewed on this system

last week, and took some pictures this time around. The beer is a black IPA and the recipes will follow the images.








Recipe: Enigma Black IPA
Style: 14B-India Pale Ale(IPA)-American IPA

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 35.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 27.00 l
Volume Transferred: 23.00 l
Water Added: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 22.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.047 SG
Expected OG: 1.061 SG
Expected FG: 1.010 SG
Expected ABV: 6.8 %
Expected ABW: 5.3 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 65.6
Expected Color: 32.6 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 83.5 %
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
US Mystery Malt 11lb 4oz (72.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
US White Wheat Malt 1lb 4oz (8.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa Special II 1lb 4oz (8.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Munich 10L Malt 1lb 0oz (6.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 12.00 oz (4.8 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Summit (14.6 % alpha) 15 g Bagged Pellet Hops used 80 Min From End
US Columbus(Tomahawk) (9.0 % alpha) 30 g Bagged Pellet Hops used 30 Min From End
US Centennial (8.5 % alpha) 100 g Bagged Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
US Summit (14.6 % alpha) 60 g Bagged Pellet Hops used At turn off
US Columbus(Tomahawk) (9.0 % alpha) 60 g Bagged Pellet Hops used At turn off
US Centennial (8.5 % alpha) 60 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
US Columbus(Tomahawk) (9.0 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients

Yeast: DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: No Chosen Schedule

Recipe Notes
Bulk of grain bill was a pre-measured recipe weighing 11 lbs 4 oz. Due to the loss of my previous laptop, I don't know what the recipe was (though I suspect it was a "bulked up" Kölsch or Altbier (without any carafa). 
 
My unusually poor hop harvest left me with too few hops to base a beer around, so these were added to the flameout. There was roughly 1/2 oz dried and it was mostly columbus with a little cascade.

The Carafa Special II was all added to the mash tun after the first runnings had drained, but before my batch sparge. I let that sparge steep for 15 minutes in order to get maximum color from the Carafa. The wort was nearly pitch black. First runnings wort was a medium amber, leading me to believe the "mystery malt" was a Düsseldorf Altbier malt bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment