Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Brewing Kölsch

So my first attempt at Kölsch came out really delicious, but I over-hopped it a little for the style, leaving me with something more reminiscent of a German Pilsner than a true Kölsch. So the second time around (with the 5th generation of the same packet of yeast), I decided to hop it a bit less aggressively and give myself something more properly Kölsch-like. I did 10 gallons, and then kegged half of it unfiltered for an SF beerweek event, and the other half has received a longer lagering time in my freezer and will be the first beer put through my new (and not yet arrived) beer filtering system (thanks to my girlfriend's mom and stepdad for the gift certificate that led to the purchase).

Anyway, here is the recipe and I will post a picture of a glass of the Kölsch when it is all nice and filtered.


Climate Change Kölsch
Style: 6C-Light Hybrid Beer-Kolsch

Wort Volume Before Boil: 15.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 12.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 11.00 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 11.00 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 10.25 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.040 SG
Expected OG: 1.050 SG
Expected FG: 1.011 SG
Expected ABV: 5.2 %
Expected ABW: 4.1 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 26.5
Expected Color: 3.5 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 77.9 %
Mash Efficiency: 85.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 58 degF

Fermentables
Canadian Pils Malt 18lb 8oz (97.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Aromatic Malt 8.00 oz (2.6 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Magnum (16.0 % alpha) 15 g Bagged Whole Hops used 60 Min From End
US Ultra (9.0 % alpha) 40 g Bagged Whole Hops used 20 Min From End
US Ultra (9.0 % alpha) 40 g Bagged Whole Hops used 5 Min From End

Yeast: White Labs WLP029-German Ale/Kolsch

Mash at 150 degF for 90 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment