Friday, October 28, 2011
I finally got some fancy equipment, a pump, and a fancy chiller. And yesterday was they day that they got their first use. The beer was a variant of the porter I typically brew - this one being slightly different in that I used Belgian Special B malt instead of British Extra Dark Crystal and an American yeast rather than a British yeast. My only real issue was that it took me about half an hour to figure out how to get my pump working right in the beginning, which got the strike water's temerature down enough that, rather than a 154F mash, I mashed at 150F. Now this isn't the end of the world - but combined with the more attenuative American yeast, that low mash temperature may lead to an overly dry and low-bodied porter. I am sure the beer will be tasty either way, but I hope this yeast doesn't eat too much and leaves me enough residual sugars to have that creamy malty goodness I like about this recipe.