Monday, April 4, 2011

Brewing for a Presentation

So, my presentation before my club, the Greenbelt Brewers Association, is April 19, and my girlfriend and her friend visiting from Portland will be there, so I am extra enthusiastic about keeping it fun and easy to follow - hence lots of tastings and not so much lecturing. I'm presenting on American Pale, Amber, and Brown Ales, so I figured I would get a 6-pack each of pale, amber, and brown ales brewed from bonafide craft breweries, along with some sexy homebrewed exampled brewed by me. I purchased the craft beer in canned form, just because I thought it would be nice to give a little shout-out to those breweries who are helping craft beer lovers know that cans are a great way of storing beer. They are: Caldera Pale Ale, Boont Amber Ale, and Moose Drool Brown Ale. The homebrewed Pale and Amber Ales were described in the last post, but here is what I did with the Brown Ale.

Now American Brown Ales aren't that popular of a style these days, but one thing is for sure, they are malt-forward beers with a somewhat firm bitterness, not unlike their English counterparts. The point to brewing an American brown ale, for a homebrewer, is to build it to your taste, because the style is wide open for interpretation. I stuck with pretty neutral hops for this one and a caramel-sweet, gently roasty recipe with a good deal of quirks. I stuck with WLP001 because I had some on hand.


Hobo Clown Brown
Style: 10C-American Ale-American Brown Ale


Wort Volume Before Boil: 8.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 7.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 6.50 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 6.50 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 6.22 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG
Expected OG: 1.049 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG
Expected ABV: 5.0 %
Expected ABW: 4.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 29
Expected Color: 20.0 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 76.4 %
Mash Efficiency: 84.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 60 degF

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale Malt (Maris Otter) 8lb 8oz (75.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Brown Malt 12.00 oz (6.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal (120EBC) 12.00 oz (6.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Extra Dark Crystal 8.60 oz (4.8 %) In Mash/Steeped
Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus) 8.00 oz (4.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Roasted Barley 4.00 oz (2.2 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Delta (6.5 % alpha) 23 g Loose Whole Hops used 60 Min From End
US Glacier (5.7 % alpha) 30 g Loose Whole Hops used 30 Min From End
US Delta (6.5 % alpha) 19 g Loose Whole Hops used 5 Min From End


Yeast: White Labs WLP001-California Ale

Mash at 152 degF for 60 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment