Friday, November 6, 2009

Denny's Rye IPA, Summit IPA, Amarillo IPA, Grey Skies Porter (Taddy Version)

So, I have brewed three beers since I last updated the blog, so here goes. I'm going to put down the recipes, in the order I brewed them, then explain any tribulations or interesting occurrences beside the recipe.

Denny's Rye IPA

This is probably the most famous homebrew recipe on the internet. It's easy to find this recipe all over the internet, but I will list my version of it (basically identical to the original) here:

11 lb Great Western 2-row
3 lbs Rye Malt
1 lb 4 oz Briess Crystal 60L
8 oz White Wheat Malt
8 oz Carapils

1 oz Mt. Hood (5.1 AA)      FWH
1 oz CTZ (16.4 AA)           60 min
1.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.1 AA)  30 min
2 oz Mt. Hood (4.3 AA)     Flame-out
1 oz CTZ (16.1 AA)          Dry-Hop


Mashed at 151 degrees F for 60 min, no mashout

Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 (1L of yeast cake from California Amber Ale)
OG 1.075, 76 IBU




My next Brew was the Summit IPA


This one was actually meant to be an ESB, but my efficiency was higher than planned, so I adjusted the hopping schedule, and just made an IPA. There are American hops and an English yeast strain, so I guess I would call it an east coast IPA or a west coast English IPA (though that could be confusing).

Summit IPA is the first of my series of Single Hop beers. The plan is to do several single-hop IPA's, pale ales, and ESB's, to get a better feel for hops. Summit is a super-alpha breed, but it has a delicious tangerine-orange quality that has made Widmer's Drifter Pale ale such a fast favorite here in Portland.

Summit IPA

11 lb Briess Pale Ale Malt (2-row)
8 oz Briess Crystal 80L

.25 oz Summit (18.5 AA) 60 min
.5 oz   Summit (18.5 AA) 20 min
1 oz    Summit (18.5 AA) 5 min
1.5 oz Summit (18.5 AA) flameout
.75 oz Summit (18.5 AA) Dry-hop

Mash at 152 degrees F 60 min

OG 1.060, 48 IBU

Safale S-04 dry yeast (my first time using S-04)


Amarillo IPA was meant to be a Pale Ale, but once again, my efficiency was much higher than expected, so I adjusted the hopping and turned it into an IPA.

11 lbs Maris Otter (I think Thomas Fawcett)
8 oz English Medium Crystal 50-60L

1 oz Amarillo (9 AA) 60 min
1 oz Amarillo (9 AA) 20 min
1 oz Amarillo (9 AA) 10 min
2 oz Amarillo (9 AA) Flameout
1 oz Amarillo (9 AA) Dry-hop

Mash at 150 degrees F

OG 1.060, 52 IBU, Fermented at 62 degrees

Wyeast 1450 Denny's Rye IPA (From a 3L starter I made with .25L of the cake left over from the California Amber Ale


Grey Skies Porter


This is an all-grain remake of my best dark beer from my partial mash days. Efficiency was high and I forgot the whirlfloc, so this may well be more stout than porter. Also, I used WLP037, which is not the same yeast I used when I made this porter before.

8 lbs Maris Otter
12 oz British Chocolate Malt 450L
12 oz British Medium Crystal 50-60L
8 oz Belgian Aromatic
8 oz Belgian Kiln-Coffee

.5 oz CTZ (16.1 AA) FWH
25 IBU worth of Northern Brewer HopShot hop extract

Mash at 153

OG 1.058, 40 IBU

This one blew out of my fermenter, all over the lid of the bucket - a huge mess. I let it ferment at ambient (around 70 degrees F)

No comments:

Post a Comment